By Stephen Mitchell
The moment version of A heritage of the Later Roman Empire gains large revisions and updates to the highly-acclaimed, sweeping historic survey of the Roman Empire from the accession of Diocletian in advert 284 to the demise of Heraclius in 641.
- Features a revised narrative of the political historical past that formed the overdue Roman Empire
- Includes broad adjustments to the chapters on local heritage, specially these on the subject of Asia Minor and Egypt
- Offers a renewed assessment of the decline of the empire within the later 6th and 7th centuries
- Places a bigger emphasis at the army deficiencies, cave in of kingdom funds, and function of bubonic plague in the course of the Europe in Rome’s decline
- Includes systematic updates to the bibliography
Read or Download A History of the Later Roman Empire, AD 284-641 (Blackwell History of the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
Nowa days there were experiences of the Roman Republican associations as an entire in addition to in-depth analyses of the senate, the preferred assemblies, the tribunate of the plebs, the aedileship, the praetorship and the censorship. although, the consulship, the top magistracy of the Roman Republic, has now not acquired an identical awareness from students.
In Pagans and Christians in overdue Antiquity, A. D. Lee records the transformation of the non secular panorama of the Roman international from considered one of huge, immense variety of spiritual practices and creeds within the third century to a state of affairs the place, via the sixth century, Christianity had develop into the dominant non secular strength.
Few compositions supply as a lot perception into the constitution of the Hittite kingdom and the character of Hittite society because the so-called directions. whereas those texts may well strike the trendy reader as didactic, the Hittites, who classified them including kingdom treaties, understood them as “contracts” or “obligations,” such as the king’s directions to officers akin to monks and temple team of workers, mayors, army officials, border garrison commanders, and palace servants.
For greater than a century flint daggers were one of the such a lot heavily studied and such a lot seriously released later prehistoric lithic instruments. it truly is good proven that they're stumbled on throughout Europe and past, and that many have been broadly circulated over many generations. but, few researchers have tried to debate everything of the flint dagger phenomenon.
- Innocent III and the Crown of Aragon: The Limits of Papal Authority (Church, Faith and Culture in the Medieval West)
- Classical Humanism and the Challenge of Modernity: Debates on Classical Education in 19th-century Germany (Philologus. Supplemente / Philologus. Supplementary Volumes)
- Late Classical and Early Hellenistic Corinth: 338-196 BC (Routledge Monographs in Classical Studies)
- Pindar's Poetics of Immortality
Extra info for A History of the Later Roman Empire, AD 284-641 (Blackwell History of the Ancient World)
A History of the Later Roman Empire, AD 284-641 (Blackwell History of the Ancient World) by Stephen Mitchell